Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Shrimp and Pork in Coconut Milk

"My favorite time of day is to get up and eat leftovers from dinner, especially spicy food."

My brother, who eats completely Paleo, introduced me to this dish and it has been one that will stick with me forever. I have made this numerous time, using different variations, depending on who I am cooking for. Although the recipe calls for pork sausage, I always use Hot Italian Turkey Sausage. I have also made it with only shrimp, for a vegetarian friend, and the spice amount depends on who is joining me for dinner. This recipe is truly so simple and it's always delicious, it never let's me down! I recommend EVERYONE attempt this one, you won't be disappointed, I promise!

Side note: If you make it vegetarian style and leave out the sausage, you need to add salt and spice. The sausage is what gives it the salt and spice needed. Otherwise, no need to add either!



  • 1 lb. Italian pork sausage
  • 1 lb. medium sized raw shrimp, tails removed
  • 2 zucchini squash sliced
  • 2 Japanese eggplants sliced
  • 1 small red and yellow bell pepper, diced
  • 1/2 can coconut milk
  • Black pepper to taste





In a large soup pot brown Italian sausage over medium heat. While the sausage is browning, rinse and dry your shrimp and chop your vegetables. When the sausage is almost cooked, add shrimp and cook till pink. Once both are cooked add your vegetables. Cook mixture for about 3-4 minutes, then poor in coconut milk. Season with black pepper and if you like more spice throw in a few dashes of red pepper flakes. 


*After the first time making this dish I started using 1/2 lb. of mushrooms instead of the Japanese eggplant. (I felt the eggplant became too soft for my liking) Also, I use a whole can of coconut milk to give it more broth. You can use light or regular coconut milk. Remember, if you don't use the sausage, you will need to salt and spice it or it may be quite bland. This dish can easily be eaten alone for a light meal or with rice if you like.




Pictures definitely do not do this dish justice, the flavors are awesome!

1 comment: