Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Healthy lunch after a long run...

Today, after a long work out, I was craving some meat and vegetables but wanted something refreshing (not just hot grilled chicken and steamed vegetables.) Looking at what I had in the fridge I had no clue what to pull together, then Ah-ha, a light bulb went out off, Pasta Salad. Although white starches aren't the best I figured "what the heck" the rest is healthy. So I have decided to name this one Pantry Pasta Salad... 

I apologize for the lack of images, I was too hungry. And now that I've eaten and relaxed from my run I am too tired to go take a picture of the leftovers, ha ha! 

Pantry Pasta Salad: (any vegetables can be used for this, whatever you have in your veggie drawer) 
  • 2 cups pasta ( I happened to have macaroni, penne or spiral works well too)
  • 1/4 of a cucumber chopped, skin on
  • 1/4 tomato chopped
  • handful of peas
  • 1 green onion chopped
  • 3 mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 chicken breast
  • 1/2 of an avocado
  • Olive Oil
  • 1/2 of a lemon
  • Vinegar
  • Dijon Mustard
  • Salt and Pepper
Begin by getting your water boiling for the pasta, once that has began boiling toss noodles in and set your timer for 7 minutes. While the water is boiling/noodles are cooking get a pan hot and coat with a very small amount of olive oil. Once the pan is hot, begin cooking the chicken. While the chicken was cooking I seasoned it with salt, pepper, and garlic; on each side. Turn the chicken when necessary to cook the other side.

While the noodles and chicken are cooking, chop your vegetables. Again, ANY vegetables can be used. When your vegetables are chopped, toss them into a mixing bowl. *I topped mine with the avocado, you can also toss it in ahead of time. Once the noodles are done, strain them and rinse with very cold water. This stops the cooking and allows the noodles to cool quickly. Once the chicken is done, chop it and toss into the bowl. At this time you can shake out excess water from the noodles and toss them into the bowl as well. Place in the fridge while you make your dressing. This allows for the pasta salad to get cold quickly. Unless you have time... then no rush. I was hungry!

In a small bowl whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice form 1/2 of a lemon, 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, a few fresh grinds of pepper, and about three dashes of white wine vinegar (any vinegar works)

Once your dressing is to your liking, poor over the pasta salad and toss. Serve cold.

This dish was simple, healthy, quick, cheap, and allowed me to use vegetables I was gonna be throwing away soon.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment